Sunday, March 13, 2016

Week Five and Six

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Here's what I've been up to the past couple of weeks.


Week Five: The Last Week for Learning


This is my last week to focus on learning the different teaching techniques and styles of Willow Bend. Cassandra went to visit her home/family in New Zealand, so I followed Val around my old elementary school. Marshall School is a Magnet school, so they like to get students involved in hands-on learning. That's why we were there!

We taught 3rd graders about the phrase "reduce, reuse, recycle". I learned a few new tips as well from this lesson. Order matters in the phrase. First, you should look to reduce what you consume. Next, you should look to reuse what you have consumed. Finally, if you cannot reduce or reuse, you should recycle. Next, we taught the kids about what material you can recycle. Keep in mind, anything paper cup with a waxy substance inside (coffee cups, orange juice containers, excreta) are not recyclable.



We talked to the kids about the landfills, and how it is important to have a clay layer at the bottom of the fill (so that hazardous chemicals don't leak through to the soil or groundwater). I learned that our local landfill here in Flagstaff does not have that clay layer.
  
We also taught 2nd graders about the way seeds move. We divided seed movement into different categories such as "exploders" or "fliers". It was fun to work with such a young class.


This is my last week to watch other teachers and how they educate their students. From here on out, I will be developing my survey and my lesson for the sixth grade Alpine group. While observing and helping the Willow Bend educators has been really enjoyable, I'm looking forward to actually implementing what I have learned into a lesson. I hope that I don't just load the students up with facts; I hope I can create change in their habits that helps the environment.


Week Six: Determining Lesson Topics


I'm going to develop a pre-test and post-test to administer to the Alpine kids both a week before and after my presentation. But before I can create the test, I need to determine what I actually want to teach the students and how to accomplish this. 

Cassandra told me to list the things I want the kids to learn in order of importance. What is most the most fundamental, necessary thing you need them to know? 

I feel what is most important is the students' view of water. I want them to understand that fresh, potable water is a scarce resource in short supply. From there, I will teach them how they can conserve water individually, and transition to how they can make a difference as a group. How can you make a difference in your classroom? School? Community? I hope to incorporate local issues and hands-on activities as well.

From here on out, I'll be working on my surveys and presentations.


Thanks for reading! Happy Spring Break everyone!

10 comments:

  1. I never thought about the order - that is great! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for an interactive lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Josh. How scared should I be about the fact our landfill does not have a clay layer? Also I think some kids at OUR school need your water conservation lesson...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm hoping to teach a couple of classes at BASIS too! But I'm honestly kind of nervous about our landfill. Just don't drink the groundwater right next to the dump and you should be fine!

      Delete
  3. Cool! I didn't know that reduce,reuse,recycle actually had an order to it. What kind of hands-on activities are you thinking of for teaching about water conservation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Me either. I will answer your question hopefully with my next post, but we'll see what happens haha...

      Delete
  4. How did the Picture Canyon trip go? I remember when I moved west 25 years ago, a roommate commented on my water use. I'm from the East Coast and water is everywhere. Though I had been taught about conversation and thought I was conserving, I actually found (in comparison with my Arizona, Utah, and California roommates) I needed to change my behavior. How do you teach the young students to broach this topic with others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually haven't gone on the Picture Canyon trip yet, but we will later in April. But yes, that's a great question, especially when the students will be talking to their parents (who may or may not have good conservation habits). My main objective when teaching the students will be to hammer in how fresh water is a scarce resource. I feel if I can truly illustrate this to students, they will naturally develop an incentive to conserve water and spread what they have learned. In my lesson, I also hope to have a small segment that will show students how to talk with mainly their parents (possibly friends) about water conservation. It will focus mainly on how to approach their parents when a faucet is dripping or something similar. They can argue from both an economic (water bills) and conservation (water scarcity) stand point. Unfortunately, I can only get so much information across with the time I have though.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reduce part of this whole equation, I think, is not emphasized enough. The recycle part seems more heavily emphasized. Is that your impression? This piece got quite a bit of criticism, but I thought it interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/the-reign-of-recycling.html

    ReplyDelete